Located in Portland, Maine, Liberty Bay Recovery offers crisis intervention services to all individuals with a drug or alcohol addiction. The purpose of our interventions is to show your loved one how addiction is negatively affecting their life and the lives of everyone around them. Moreover, that you love and care about them and want them to seek help through rehabilitation.
We are able to prescribe and refill medication for anxiety and depression. However, for other mental health concerns, we refer out. Certainly, more severe mental health concerns may arise after you have some time clean and sober. If these traits emerge, or they were not disclosed during admission, we do our best to find outside psychiatric help while you are receiving treatment.
What Is Crisis Intervention?
During times of severe distress, an individual may lose their ability to cope. Furthermore, they won’t solve their problems, or deal with life’s dilemmas. In those instances, outside assistance can help that person return to a functional state of mind and regain a balanced outlook. This is when crisis intervention is appropriate. Crisis intervention can help people overcome severe emotional, mental, physical, or behavioral problems. Generally, it is a short-term solution, utilizing medical or psychological procedures. It also gives individuals the tools they need to handle trauma or difficulty immediately.
Because crisis intervention counseling focuses on specific events which are overwhelming or traumatic, it usually lasts three months or less. The goal of crisis intervention is to resolve the problem quickly and effectively. In addition, to avoid serious mental or emotional disorders later on in life.
Situations that may require crisis intervention counseling may include losing a loved one or surviving a traumatic event. This includes things such as a natural disaster or fire. Another type of crisis intervention is showing how drugs and alcohol are ruining their life. Although crisis intervention is not a substitute for long-term psychological or psychiatric therapy aimed at addiction recovery, it may serve as a catalyst, causing the loved one to seek long-term substance abuse recovery treatment. It may also aid in the assessment of a dual diagnosis (addiction with a mental or emotional disorder). This allows the individual to obtain the most effective treatment possible.
Crisis Intervention and Substance Abuse
Crisis intervention is most effective in cases where an individual is abusing a substance but has not yet become dependent on it. This specific form of intervention has only short-term goals and typically lasts 12 weeks or less. It is most useful in situations where an individual is unaware that his actions are detrimental to himself and/or those around him.
It has been shown to be extremely effective in persuading the individual of the danger that they are in and showing them how their actions negatively affect those around them. Professional crisis intervention can be an effective weapon against more serious long-term consequences.
Maine Crisis Counseling
Unlike individuals who suffer from more recognizable forms of trauma, such as suicide attempts or sexual assault, individuals who abuse drugs and alcohol must often be shown the severity of their situation. Many are unaware of exactly how much damage has been done to themselves and those who care about them. Crisis intervention is necessary when individuals who regularly abuse drugs and/or alcohol participate in activities which drastically harm them and damage the lives of those closest to them. Crisis intervention of this sort is typically through specialists and emphasizes the various consequences and serious repercussions that substance abuse has on the individual, their loved ones, and the community.
Relationship problems, financial problems, medical issues, and legal crises often open a user’s eyes to the reality of their situation and convince them of their need for treatment. In these types of cases, professional crisis intervention is necessary to show the individual the direct link between the substance abuse and the problems they are facing. Successful crisis intervention is often followed by enrollment in a substance abuse treatment and recovery program.
Procedures for Crisis Intervention
Although crisis intervention is highly individualized to each situation and person, there are some factors common to every successful crisis intervention program.
- Challenging Problematic Beliefs and Expectations: Encourages a person to examine their thoughts and actions. To decide whether their current belief system leads to harmful choices or healthy ones.
- Observation and Awareness: Empowers a patient to recognize their own contribution to the current situation. Allows them to break free from emotional trauma.
- Understanding the Problem: Helps the individual discover the root causes of their current situation.
- Confronting Fear and Pain: Gives an individual the strength to face their inner demons. Overcome negative emotions, beliefs, and thought patterns.
- Breaking Harmful Cycles: Frees a person from harmful habits. Recognizing destructive behaviors, eliminating them, and then replacing them with behaviors that edify the individual’s life, health, and wellbeing.
- Forming Short-term Dependencies: Creates a positive bond between the patient, the counselor, and the individual’s support community. Therefore, the transition to wellness has support and guidance.
- Creating a Solid Structure: Teaches the individual to create and utilize an emotional support community. Therefore, they do not revert to prior harmful thought patterns, attitudes, or behaviors.
- Education: Teaches an individual the different methods which can help to push past trauma. Moreover, to return to a normal life, showing them they have the ability to overcome a crisis successfully.
- Unlocking Inner Potential: Reveals to the individual their ability to get through any sort of crisis. Encourages them to make decisions and take actions to better their life.
Don’t Wait. Call Today.
There are many reasons to seek a substance abuse crisis intervention in Portland Maine. This is in regard to a drug or alcohol addiction.
If left untreated, addiction can, and will, take everything from you. Call us today at 8556078758 for more information on how Liberty Bay Recovery can help.
Regardless of your insurance, be it Cigna, Aetna, Humana, United Health Care, ValueOptions, GEHA (Government Employee Health Association), UMR (United Medical Resources), Providence Health Plans, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare, or even state insurance — we can help you. We also offer many affordable self-pay options.
Contact Liberty Bay Recovery
Don’t wait until your family is in a state of crisis before you seek help for your family member who is suffering from a drug or alcohol addiction. Instead, contact one of our trained professionals at Liberty Bay Recovery in Portland, Maine and discuss whether a crisis intervention may be warranted in your situation.