Liberty Bay Recovery, located in Portland, Maine, offers cutting-edge dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction and other mental health concerns.
We can prescribe and refill medication for anxiety and depression, but for other mental health concerns we refer out. Certainly, more severe mental health concerns may arise after you have some time clean and sober. If these traits emerge, or they were not disclosed during admission, we do our best to find outside psychiatric help while you are receiving treatment.
What Is DBT?
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) offers a fresh approach to treating both substance abuse and other complex mental health issues. Liberty Bay Recovery is one of the nation’s few DBT programs for integrated substance abuse and mental health treatment. Our focused DBT programs are particularly useful for those seeking to address the following:
- Traumatic experiences, such as serious accidents, abuse, or grief
- Lack of success with other, traditional therapies
- Addiction occurring with other mental health issues
- Eating disorders, PTSD, bipolar disorder, or borderline personality disorder
- Low self-esteem, self-harm, and self-abuse
- Adults struggling with childhood traumas such as abuse, loss, or a parent’s addiction
- Daily management of overwhelming emotions
We use DBT in all levels of care, from our partial hospitalization program to our intensive outpatient program.
How Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy Different?
Prominent psychologist Dr. Marsha Linehan of the University of Washington developed DBT through years of research and observation. Dr. Linehan specialized in complex and difficult-to-treat patients and developed DBT when she found that traditional therapeutic approaches were often not effective for her patients.
There are several differences between DBT and traditional therapy. First, DBT can help patients manage complex emotions without a continual barrage of questions. Dialectical behavior therapy incorporates both group and individual therapy sessions to assist patients in becoming more relaxed with the process of treatment. DBT also provides tools for daily living that help patients recover from addiction and manage life events.
DBT also differs from traditional cognitive behavioral therapy in that it:
- Helps patients understand themselves and the ways they relate to others
- Does not require that patients become someone else but accepts who they are as a person
- Helps patients accept life events and manage daily struggles and trauma
- Shows patients how to regulate their emotions
- Provides patients with the tools for overcoming anxiety and creating the lives they want
What Are the Goals of Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
The primary aims of DBT are to help patients attain peace in their world by encouraging mindful awareness of their emotions and how they relate to the world. By complementing traditional psychotherapy and the teaching of key life skills with Buddhist principles, the DBT Portland Maine offers can help patients in these essential areas:
- Emotion regulation: Patients learn how to address mood changes and improve decision-making.
- Distress tolerance: Patients learn how to cope with upheaval and trauma and to manage uncomfortable feelings.
- Mindfulness: Patients learn to appreciate their present reality through accepting situations and people.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Patients learn to address the difficult people and situations in their lives by setting up healthy boundaries.
Don’t Wait. Call Today.
There are so many reasons to enter rehab and undergo the dialectical behavior therapy Portland offers.
If left untreated, addiction can, and will, take everything from you. Regardless of your insurance, be it Cigna, Aetna, Humana, United Health Care, ValueOptions, GEHA (Government Employee Health Association), UMR (United Medical Resources), Providence Health Plans, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare, or even state insurance — we can help you. We also offer many affordable self-pay options.
Contact Liberty Bay for the DBT Portland Maine Trusts
If you or a loved one is facing issues with substance abuse or addiction, dialectical behavior therapy Portland offers can help. Please contact Liberty Bay Recovery of Portland, Maine at 855-607-8758 for more information about our programs.