DBT- Dialectical behavior therapy in Portland, ME
Liberty Bay Recovery, located in Portland, Maine, offers cutting-edge dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction and other mental health concerns.
We are able to prescribe and refill medication for anxiety and depression, but for other mental health concerns we refer out. Certainly, more severe mental health concerns may arise after you have some time clean and sober. If these traits emerge, or they were not disclosed during admission, we do our best to find outside psychiatric help while you are receiving treatment.
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) offers a fresh approach to treating both substance abuse and other complex mental health issues. Liberty Bay Recovery is one of the nation’s few DBT programs for integrated substance abuse and mental health treatment. Our focused DBT programs are particularly useful for those seeking to address the following:
- Traumatic experiences, such as serious accidents, abuse, or grief
- Lack of success with other, traditional therapies
- Addiction occurring with other mental health issues
- Eating disorders, PTSD, bipolar disorder, or borderline personality disorder
- Low self-esteem, self-harm, and self-abuse
- Adults struggling with childhood traumas such as abuse, loss, or a parent’s addiction
- Daily management of overwhelming emotions
How Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy Different?
Prominent psychologist Dr. Marsha Linehan of the University of Washington developed DBT through years of research and observation. Dr. Linehan specializes in complex and difficult-to-treat patients and developed DBT when she found that traditional therapeutic approaches were often not effective for her patients.
There are several differences between DBT and traditional therapy. First, DBT can help patients manage complex emotions without a continual barrage of questions. Dialectical behavior therapy incorporates both group and individual therapy sessions to assist patients in becoming more relaxed with the process of treatment. DBT also provides tools for daily living that help patients recover from addiction and manage life events.
DBT also differs from traditional cognitive behavioral therapy in several ways:
- DBT helps patients understand themselves and the ways they relate to others.
- DBT does not require that patients become someone else but accepts who they are as a person.
- DBT helps patients accept life events and manage daily struggles and trauma.
- DBT shows patients how to regulate their emotions.
- DBT provides patients with the tools for overcoming anxiety and creating the lives they want.
What Are the Goals of Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
The primary aims of DBT are to help patients attain peace in their world by encouraging mindful awareness of their emotions and the ways in which they relate to the world. By complementing traditional psychotherapy and the teaching of key life skills with Buddhist principles, DBT can help patients in these essential areas:
- Emotion regulation: Patients learn how to address mood changes and improve decision-making.
- Distress tolerance: Patients learn how to cope with upheaval and trauma and to manage uncomfortable feelings.
- Mindfulness: Patients learn to appreciate their present reality through accepting situations and people.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Patients learn to address the difficult people and situations in their lives by setting up healthy boundaries.
Don’t Wait. Call Today.
There are so many reasons to enter rehab and undergo dialectical behavior therapy.
If left untreated, addiction can, and will, take everything from you. Call us today at 844-894-2673 for more information on how Liberty Bay Recovery can help.
Regardless of your insurance, be it Cigna, Aetna, Humana, United Health Care, ValueOptions, GEHA (Government Employee Health Association), UMR (United Medical Resources), Providence Health Plans, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare, or even state insurance — we can help you. We also offer many affordable self-pay options.
Contact Liberty Bay Recovery
If you or a loved one is facing any of the issues outlined on this page, dialectical behavior therapy can help. Please contact Liberty Bay Recovery of Portland, Maine for more information.