Liberty Bay offers a comprehensive 12 step program for both drug and alcohol addiction. Our 12 step program in Portland Maine is a standard support group model that works for all types of substance abuse. When you get addiction therapy services in Portland, Maine you get the support you need from others who are also on the same path to recovery.
When you are part of a recovery group, you can draw from the experience and insight of other people who can guide you through your recovery. You can also share your story, thoughts, and feelings with those who genuinely care about your growth. A 12 step recovery program is a perfect addition to a full-scale addiction treatment program.
The Bedrock Principles of the 12 Step Program
The 12 step principles are a set of guidelines that help you get from one phase of recovery to the next. The idea behind the steps is to help you grow one stage at a time. The order of the steps or the pace at which you follow them is entirely up to you.
The steps include:
- We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand God.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for the knowledge of God’s will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Spiritual and Religious Freedom in the 12 Step Program
Although the 12 steps mention religious concepts, people of different faiths or no faith at all can still grasp the basic concepts. When you undergo your residential addiction treatment, the focus is not on your faith. Instead, the focus is getting better. Therefore, you do not have to feel any pressure to conform to a particular religion. The main thing is to take what you can from 12 step therapy and use it as a tool for recovery. Some newer 12 step groups have different versions of the same 12 steps.
The 12 Steps in Your Treatment Program
Liberty Bay integrates substance abuse support groups into our treatment program to give you a broader range of treatment. Whether you join a therapy group, 12 step group, or another support unit, you will come to value these aspects of your plan more each day. We provide these types of therapy with other treatments such as:
- Inpatient drug detox
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Family program and therapy
- Mental health counseling services
- Inpatient drug and alcohol rehab
If you would like to find out more about the treatment options available, then contact Liberty Bay today. You can take advantage of our 12 step program and other treatment plans. Call us at 855.607.8758 to start your path to recovery.